Posts Tagged “flower411”
Here’s the latest wholesale flower information from our Mayesh purchasing team! Enjoy!
Anemones- import readily available
Artichokes – steady availability
Artichokes Baby –steady availability
Bells of Ireland- production going down
Bouvardia- Local white is very limited
Buddleia – purple only limited
Calla Mini- Peach limited, some colors only available in shorter lengths
Celosia Coxcomb-green is import only
Celosia Feather-available limited color
Clematis large flower-Local – white limited colors ok
Clematis small flower-import
Clover/Gomphrena- Lavender, Red, Pink, Purple, White
Cosmos-White and Pink- N/A nobody is growing it
Cosmos new color (burgundy)-very limited
Cotinus foliage- available
Cotinus Blooming (smoke bush)-finished
Crocosmia flower-orange only-only a week or so left
Crocosmia Pods- availble
Cymbidiums- good numbers
Cymbidium Minis – good numbers
Delph White- almost impossible to get
Delph Hybrid- limited
Echinops- almost finished
Euphorbia- Dog Eye Antique-available limited
Euphorbia- Snow on the mountain-available
Foxglove Illumination- limited
Gardenia Foliage available but just covering standing orders
Hops- on through 1rst-2nd week of September
Honeysuckle pre order, limited
Hydrangea Lacecap-going to antique
Hydrangea Local – moving from solid colors to antique
Hydrangea solid color-dutch
Hydrangea Peegee- white almost finished
Iris Blue- readily available
Iris Colors- limited
Jasmine- foliage only no flowers
Kale – available
Larkspur- production going down
Lisianthus- Peach, Lavender, Bi-Pink are more limited, Blush and Green extremely limited
Nicotiana -not available
Nigella Flower- finished
Nigella pods- limited
Passion vine – coral and lavender pre order
Piers Japonica- flowers just starting
Pitt- Italian very limited
Poppy Hybrid- off crop
Poppies Icelandic-off crop
Poppy white or red-not available
Protea- King Pink- import
Protea-King White limited
Protea pincushion- readily available import
Protea- Pinks- available starting locally
Protea- Whites limited
Pokeweed- Almost finished
Queen Annes Lace – good numbers
Queen Annes Lace- Chocolate-available
Queen Annes Lace-Neopolitan- limited
Ranunculus- import readily available
Raspberries-sub black berries- finished
Riceflower – scarce
Scabiosa White- very limited
Sedum- green available finished soon, pink just starting
Smilax- Southern – in season now
Snowberry- white starting next week locally, pink starting locally
Statice Sinuata- purple available, colors extremely limited
Statice tissue- gapping for a week
Stock- production very low
Sunflower-Chocolate-not available/sub bi color, mahogany and ring of fire available
Sweet pea-very limited
Trachelium- local limited
Trachelium green -import
Tulips- Double- only cream/pale yellow and orange princess available and extremely limited
Tulips- French- off crop for a few weeks
Tulips-Frilled- only white, extremely limited and tiny heads
Tulips- Parrot- extremely limited- have been getting lavender, red, white, webers, bright
Tulips-Regular- import starting, local very low production
Viburnum Berry Blue- almost finished
Viburnum berry Red- available
Yarrow button/ tansy-available
Yarrow Cottage-very limited
Zinnia- extremely limited
Here’s the latest information from our Mayesh purchasing team! Enjoy!
Local aggies – only available in blue from one vendor
Allium Giant – Finished
Anemone – VERY LIMITED!!!
Artichoke burgundy – small and large off crop for a few weeks
Astilbe – available from Portland
Blackberries – available from Portland
Buddlea – crop is quarantined for now
Cornflower – Limited, no Pink
Cranberry Viburnum- available from Oregon
Crocosmia – available from Portland
Dahlias are starting in Oregon and after this weekend – they should be in full production (100 degree weekend). Also readily available from California
Hybrid Delph – white limited, light blue extremely limited
Eremurus – Finished
French Tulips – limited and pricey
Gardenia Foliage – still limited
Gunni euc – still limited, getting small amounts
Hydrangea local – coming on hot pink, purple, blue
Iris – White and Light Blue extremely limited
Ixia – Finished
White kale locally – it’s getting too hot so they are staying green
LLV – quality issues from Canadian source.price going back up, from local WENU and Dutch
Lysmachia – available from Portland
Moc Orange – finished
Peonies – Starting in Alaska
Protea – still south Africa only
Ranunculus Local is pretty much done except locally, import is just starting-very very limited
Smilax – production starting to ramp back up, still limited
Southern smilax – just starting
Local Spray Roses – EXTREMELY LIMITED!!!
Tulips – Limited to basic colors. White, purple, red, yellow,orange and hot pink. Light pink is very limited.
Tulips Double – extremely limited the only colors I have see infrequently are Upstar (blush), Montreaux (cream/pale yellow) and orange princess (orange)
Tulips Frilled – extremely limited the only colors I have seen infrequently are Honeymoon (white)- may be able to get 100 to 200 stems a week if lucky.
Tulips Parrots – extremely limited the only colors I have seen infrequently are flaming, bright (red with yellow tip), Rebel white and Libretto.
Viburnum berry – blue is finished
Here’s the latest information from our Mayesh purchasing team! They are such a wealth of knowledge and hope that you enjoy the latest Mayesh Flower 411!
Peony: coral and a little hot pink available the very beginning of April. All peonies beginning next week will be Dutch.
Japan: Ranunculus and sweet peas ended earlier than normal due to warm weather.
- Spirea – we will have a few next week and than gap for 2.
- Long cherry – is done after next week and med we will have for 2 more weeks.
- Forsythia – has 3 more weeks.
- Viburnum – is still green house grown but very nice.
- Camellia – has 2 more weeks and will not make it for Mothers Day.
Italy: we are trying some high-end Ranunculus from Italy to hopefully fill the void from Japan, the shipment of genestra arriving this weekend is the last.
- Cafe au Lait dahlias – VERY LIMITED !!!
- Smilax – limited, we are trying to pick up from KITA, but his production is not as big
- Eriostemon – limited supply
- PROTEA Pink Ice/other pinks/white protea – are finishing.
- Orange banksia – still ok
- Local Bells – looking good again
- Star of Bethlehem – all limited, white, orange, yellow
- Dubium – all limited, white, orange, yellow
- Lisianthus – is starting to come back on with good production locally with white, pink, purple, lavender; yellow and light pink limited; peach and bi-colors are very limited
Amaranthus Upright- very Limited
Chamomile- whites available, yellow limited
Delphinium Belladonna dark and light blue – good production on both
Delphinium Belladonna white – nobody in California grows this
Delphinium Hybrid – starting production
Delphinium Dark blue, purple, lavender – coming on
Delphinium Light blue – limited
Delphinium White – is very limited
Dianthus Green Trick or Green Ball – plentiful, large and lovely
Hypericum Foliage (midnight glow) – finished until the Fall
Iris – plentiful, all colors
Jasmine – not flowering, green vine
Kumquats – finished
Larkspur – plentiful, all colors
Leucadendron Safari – limited and turning green
Oriental Lily Yellow, Yellow Bi-Color and Peach – very very limited
Lily Starfighter – purchasing spoke to two major growers of Starfighter Liles in the US. The news is that Starfighter bulbs are very hard to find and they are switching over to newer varieties similar to Starfighter. The other new varieties they are growing as back-ups are Charming, Dynamite, Starship and Currie. A few smaller vendors will still carry small amounts of Starfighters.
Passion vine with fruit – on for about a month
Queen Anne’s Lace – starting to come back on, starting out it is at a tight cut point
Ranuncula local – still getting them, but hot weather is limiting the production.
Ranuncula Hybrid – same as local ranuncula
Snaps – plentiful, all colors
Statice – plentiful; white and pink limited; yellow and peach very limited
Sterling range – finished
Stock – plentiful, all colors
I am kicking off this Flower 411 with five descriptions of some of the beautiful blooms that you will see around right now at your local Mayesh provided by Charity of LA Shipping. After learning a bit more about the highlighted flowers, Billy from purchasing put together a list of what flowers are done, hard to get, and bountiful. Enjoy!
Charity Auswater garden rose: deliciously feminine pink hue with a frilly green center. Best for events because it does have a short shelf life. If the green center is not for you can simply cut out the green center with a pair of scissors.
Japanese lisianthus: has all usable bloom with no wasted unopened blooms and buds. Grown with so much passion, our growers allow the flower time to mature on the plant before it is even cut. This cutting stage allows for the blooms to be so full and lush.
Lilac: to maximize output, Dutch farmers cultivate each bush for seven years, strengthening its branches with constant pruning until it’s a compact shrub with numerous stems. At that point, farmers cut the stems, bunch them, and sell them, while the bush is given a year of rest before it’s expected to produce another round of blooms. If properly trimmed and cared for, a lilac shrub can give flowers for a hundred years. The lilac is a forcing shrub — it can be made to produce flowers ahead of its natural season. Aalsmeer is most famous for its flower auction, but the area also holds the distinction of being the cut-lilac capital of the world, in part thanks to the super fertile soil dredged up in its canals and lakes.
Clematis: Ready for the taking now, this is an American grown crop and we source from a family owned grower! We supply 20 different varieties that includes bi-colors, singles and doubles! The vines are tacked to a 42 inch pole daily to give Mayesh customers nice long stems for their floral design. Care and handling is just a vase of water stored in a cooler set at 36 degrees. This flower can last up to three weeks with every bunch as consistent as the next bunch.
Tulip season is pretty much year round ranging from local to import crops through the year.
- Acacia Bagged
- Blushing Bride Protea
- Delphinium Bella or Waltz White
- Privett Black Berried
- Viburnum Tinus
- Astilbe- Japan Only
- Carnations- White
- Dahlias especially Burgundy and Café
- Delphinium Bella or Waltz Dark Blue
- Delphinium Bella or Waltz Light Blue- extremely limited
- Delphinium Hybrid
- Papyrus Lionshead– gapping
- Protea –Pinks
- Protea- White- very limited
- Queen Annes Lace
- Dianthus green ball or trick
- French Tulips
Was limited, but now we are seeing better production
- Mini Sunflowers
- Blooming branches- Cherry
- Blooming branches- Peach
- Blooming branches- Redbud
- Peony- (import)-still small headed
- Sterling Range Heather
We are all in full Valentine’s Day mode, but I wanted to give you a quick run-down on what is going on in the world of flowers!
First, please note that the California grown products are in short supply due to the winter season and have high prices. Now that the not-so-fun news is out of the way, let’s check out what new flowers are available to spice up your shop coolers!
- Clematis (assorted colors only) – US grown
- Water Lillies (assorted colors only) – imported
- Novelty Orchid box – US grown
- Viburnum Tinus
Daffodils- varieties below (imported)
- Solid Yellow many varieties
- Dick Wilden
- Wedding Bell
- Pink Charm
- Las Vegas
- Johnas Strauss
- Ice Follies
- Grand Soleil Dor
Novelty Parrot Tulip-varieties below (imported)
- Secret Parrot
- Mysterious Parrot
Want to know what is happening in the world of wholesale flowers in terms of what is available, what is starting up, what is coming to an end? Then keep on reading because I have a whole laundry list of products just for you! Have any questions for our purchasing team? Let me know in the comments below!
- Acacia Mimosa Bagged: available now
- Amaranthus hanging : Limited
- Amaranthus Upright : Very limited
- Anemone California: Local production is starting to go up
- Artichokes ( Full size and Mini): frost has damaged the crop, both Green and Burgundy will be off crop for a few weeks
- Bird of Paradise California: just starting
- Blooming Branches: Forsythia and Quince white and pink: available now
- Bupleurum: Limited
- China Mum California: off crop for January
- Chocoloate Cosmos: Limited
- Dahlia: winter production, basic colors, no novelties, and no dinner plates.
- Delphinium Belladonna: Dark Blue –limited, Light Blue-very limited, White-not available
- Delphinium Hybrid: Just starting, limited
- Flowering Jasmine: starting in about a week
- French Tulips: coming soon-limited colors available white, red, peach490
- Freesia: Super available, regular CA production is coming on
- Gladiolas: No straight colors available for at least a month, only assorted or solid white available
- Green Mist- Limited
- Hellebores California: should be starting in about 2-3 weeks
- Kumquats on a branch: starting now
- Larkspur: White very limited, Purple and Pink seeing better numbers
- Lisianthus: Limited
- Oregon Tulips- available now
- Peony: Very Very Very Limited, can’t guarantee colors
- Protea Pincushion: Orange available in better numbers now
- Protea-Pinks: limited
- Protea King: Not available
- Pussy Wiilow: Just Started
- Queen Annes Lace- very very limited
- Ranunculus California: Local production is starting to go up
- Riceflower: very very limited, only import
- Scabiosa: Burgundy crop froze off crop at the moment, White limited, other colors available
- Statice: White, Purple available, other colors limited
- Stephanotis- Very limited
- Stock: LimitedTrachelium: limited
- Tweedia : very very limited
- Waxflower California: Just starting
- White Anemone California: limited numbers but will see increase in numbers soon
Good Monday to you! Read on for updates on the world of cut flowers. Find out what is totally finished, what is limited, and where cymbidiums are coming from! Also, don’t forget that we post a weekly availability list on our homepage – check it out often to stay up-to-date with what is available!
- bittersweet (this is the last week)
- blushing bride
- explosion grass
- pomegranate branches (we can get produce in cases)
- waratah – is still finished
- artichoke burgundy – still not quite ready
- belladonna – very limited
- dahlias – limited colors and heads are smaller
- larkspur – purple very limited, other colors limited
- green millet – very limited
- scabiosa white – not getting all we want, when we want it
- shocking lily – very limited
- sunflowers – warm weather brought crops early- very limited especially novelty colors
- stock – situation is still the same; very limited especially cream, burgundy, and peach
- wax – local white starting, purple soon
- cymbidium and mini cymbidium – all dutch now
I hope you found our first Flower 411 article that was posted a couple of weeks ago helpful. I have some updates today to share with you on what items are finished, very limited, and going strong.
- cobra lily saracena
- snow berry
- wax – Peru (local will start soon)
- dahlia ball all colors finished
- dahlia purple
- Burgundy artichokes large & small: 1 month away green is available
- White carnation: prices still high
- Cymbidium New Zealand: green, brown, burgundy are Dutch now
- Dahlia: very limited numbers and colors, growers selling out early, same day orders are very difficult to fill. Pre-order for this item
- Gerbera White
- Gerbera assorted: Mexico limited, no solid colors, local growers limited on holiday colors
- Ranunculus: look at Holland offers
- STOCK: LIMITED lavender, peach and white
Items on Strong
And speaking of sunflowers, check out our handy sunflower guide, here.
I have been in talks with our purchasing team and we are going to work on ensuring that we are sharing more product information with you all. Yay! So my plan is to keep you up-to-date when new flowers are in season, become available, or at the end of their season. Here is the first batch of information for your reading pleasure:
- Heather “Carnival” Hot Pink will be available starting Monday and will only be available for 21 days.
- Sandersonia is just starting and will be around until mid to late November.
- Viburnum snowball green should be available for 3-4 more weeks.
- We can officially say that Peonies have started. Look for Coral Charm, Red Charm, Paula Fay (dark pink), Pink Pecher which are available now, with Festiva Maxima (white with crimson flecks) becoming available soon. Our Chilean peonies will have a great availability through the end of December with available varieties changing over the course of the season and a very limited availability of basic colors through the end of January.