Posts Tagged “California flowers”
Curious as to what’s going on in the world of cut flowers? Here is a summary put together by our fabulous purchasing department – enjoy!
Acacia Bagged- available
Agonis Green- very limited
Agonis Brown- available
Almond branches- pink only available
Amaranthus Bronze – NOT AVAILABLE LOCALLY
Anemones- local are available
Apricot blossom- available
Artichokes – mostly green, chocolate are very limited
Artichokes Baby – mostly green, chocolate are very limited
Aster Matsumoto Lavender- very limited
Bells- local are back on
Boronia heather not yet ~ probably sometime in March
Bouvardia- Local very limited, available Dutch import
Brunia Green- finished ( local berzellia)
Bupleurum- local limited
Calcynia/ Thrypotmine-local pink only
Cherry Blossom- available white and pink
Cosmos chocolate- import only
Craspedia- limited locally
Dahlias- EXTREMELY LIMITED!!! Did I say hard to get?
Delph light blue and dark blue- Local is on
Delph White- almost impossible to get
Delph Hybrid- coming on locally, white as always is limited
Eremurus- import only- gets held frequently
Eucalyptus gunni/parvafolia- limited but seeing moon lagoon
Freesia- coming on locally
Freesia Super heavy white, colors available somewhat limited right now…coming
French Tulip- Flaming Parrot- local coming on
Gardenia-numbers are coming back up
Genestra- import and local
Hydrangea – import
Jasmine- available but limited
Lisianthus- very limited locally but short and pricey
Magnolia blooming -NW still tight buds, maybe some in Calif more developed
Passion vine – available no flowers
Peach Blossom- available
Piers Japonica- local just now hitting, will be gone quickly
Plum Blossom-not available
Poppy Hybrid- import
Poppy Pods- should start early march
Protea- King Pink- very limited
Protea pincushion- coming on locally orange
Protea- Pink Ice – available
Protea- Whites -extremely limited
Quince blossom- finished
Queen Anne’s lace – very limited
Queen Anne’s Lace- Chocolate-available
Raspberries-Not available (sub Blackberries)
Riceflower- hot pink only
Scabiosa Black/Burg- limited locally
Scabiosa White limited locally
Scabiosa Pods- very limited
Smilax- Southern – available
Snapdragon peach- almost impossible to get
Snowberry- not available
Statice – purple available, colors limited
Stock- #1 and #2 grade
Sunflower- green center- limited
Sunflower-black center- limited
Sunflower mini-available black center only
Trachelium green –import
Tulips regular- local and import available
Tulips-Frilled- good Dutch selection, white local only
Tulips- Parrot- good dutch selection, local limited
Tweedia- gapping locally, avail Japanese but pricey
Veronica local production starting…limited
Viburnum Berry – NZ redish/purple available only
Waxflower- Local is on, regular and hybrids- also tints
Hey everyone! I am back with a great update from the Mayesh purchasing team! I know it isn’t the most exciting reading, but great information none-the-less. Probably an update that everyone wants to know is that the production is slowing down on both anemones and ranunculus, while peony production is picking up. Please keep that in mind when planning your weekly orders. Here’s more wholesale flower information:
Acorns – finished
Anemones – import
Artichokes – gapping
Artichokes Baby –gapping
Astilbe – import
Astrantia – import-frequently held
Black Berries – finished
Bouvardia – Local very limited, available Dutch import
Callicarpa/Beauty Berry – available local and import
Calcynia – finished
Celosia Coxcomb – local very limited, Dutch import available
Celosia Feather – available in red and yellow
Chamomile – white very limited, yellow only button available
Chinese Lanterns – finished
Clematis small flower -import
Cosmos chocolate – available
Cotinus foliage – medium 10st finished
Cotinus foliage long 5st – ending next week
Cotinus Blooming (smoke bush) -finished
Crocosmia flower – limited local and expensive
Crocosmia Pods – Finished
Cymbidiums – Brown, Burgundy – Dutch only
Dahlias – finishing up locally, moving to more basic year round colors
Delph light blue and dark blue – Limited
Delph White – almost impossible to get
Delph Hybrid – limited
Echinops – finished
Euphorbia – Snow on the mountain – limited
Grass – wild foxtail – Finished
Honeysuckle – pre order, limited
Hydrangea Local – antiques only
Hydrangea solid color – Dutch import
Iris Colors – limited
Jasmine – foliage only no flowers
Kale – local mostly green, colors go Dutch
Kangaroo Paws – go Dutch – local very limited
Larkspur – limited
Nigella Flower – finished
Nigella pods – limited
Passion vine – lavender pre order
Peacock Plume – Finished
Phlox – local white
Piers Japonica – Dutch import
Peony – import, certain colors limited
Poppy Hybrid – off crop
Poppies Icelandic – off crop
Protea – Blushing Bride -available
Protea – King Pink – import
Protea – King White limited
Protea pincushion – import
Protea – Pink Ice – available
Protea – Whites limited
Pokeweed – finished
Queen Anne’s lace – limited
Queen Anne’s Lace – Chocolate – limited
Ranunculus – import
Raspberries – finished
Rosemary – available
Scabiosa Black/Burg – limited
Scabiosa Pods – available
Scabiosa White – very limited
Sedum – finished
Smilax – Bag – available
Smilax – Southern – available
Snowberry – finished
Statice – purple available, colors extremely limited
Stock – production low
Sunflower – Chocolate-limited
Sunflower – Teddy Bear- finished
Sunflower – Bi-Color/Mahogany or Ring of Fire available
Sweet pea – very limited
Trachelium – local limited
Trachelium green – import
Tulips – Double – white, lavender, monsella and orange princess available local-others go Dutch if available
Tulips – French – Clear Water, Temple, Renown Unique, Flaming Parrot and Camarque
available only; French will be ending this week and gapping until December
Tulips – Frilled – Dutch only
Tulips – Parrot – Super Parrot, Irene and Rococco local – anything else go Dutch if avail
Tulips – Regular – import starting, local very low production
Tulip lily Shaped- Pretty woman and tres Chic available in very limited quantities
Tweedia – limited
Viburnum Berry – NZ redish/purple available only
Viburnum Cranberry – Finished
Yarrow Cottage-very limited
**Oregon flowers and foliages in general are finishing up; they are onto Xmas green, sticks and
Availability on California field crops are very low. The summer heat, the drought, high winds, and shorter days are all creating a shortage of product. Obvious items that we’re struggling with include stock, hybrid delphinium, larkspur, bupleurum, and Queen Anne’s lace. Every wholesaler in the US is busy, causing every farm to be busy as well. The growers are really struggling to keep up with demands.
We receive many last minute orders. However this time of year the deck is stacked against our late orders. The growers simply cannot cover the HUGE orders we drop on them at 1 o’clock on Thursday afternoon for the next day. We are not giving these growers even a full 24 hours to cut, process, and pack their flowers at a time when the demand is so high, they sell out every day. Last minute orders run a very high chance of not being covered. So please strive to place your orders in advanced – this will greatly help us all out.
Product Notes (please share!)
- Anemones very limited.
- Viburnum green snowball will be starting this week.
- Peonies from Chile will be starting very soon, within 10 days, weather permitting.
- Ranunculus still rolling in from Chile, burgundy is not available.
- African product will continue coming.
- Local pink protea have started.
- Outdoor field crops in California are very limited as stated above. We’re struggling to cover orders for hybrid Delphinium, larkspur, Queen Anne’s and chocolate lace, bupleurum, craspedia, bouvardia, and especially on stock. Stock does not do well when its hot and crops have been damaged/destroyed. This will continue to be a problem until new crops start in winter. We’re covering maybe 40% of stock orders right now.
- Scabiosa is another victim of the heat wave.
- Japanese flowers – we won’t have anything coming from there for a while, maybe a month. When production improves we can consider placing orders.
- Oregon products are winding down quickly and we’re one cold night away from being 100% Christmas/Holiday greens and berries. This area has had a strong summer of production but many things started early, and continue to come early. Ilex berry is in full color right now, came early and may finish early. Fall leaves are tough to find now, as they tend to fall off right after they change color. Local production of hydrangea is completely done.
- Dahlias are going down in production and head size, while demand is sky high.
- Wax from Peru is winding down. Some farms no longer have a true white variety, purple is finished, pink shades are limited. We may bring in some imports from Australia, but it is pricey.
- Calcynia/thrytomene probably finished within a week.
- Callas – prices inching up on fall colors. True red, burgundy and orange are not available from California growers. For imported callas, you can expect to see high prices on fall colors.
- Fall colored product from Colombia – poms, carns, minis..they seem to have started too early. Moonvista carns are still limited.
- Dutch production is picking up. We now have Dutch Boxlots each week.
Get a little history lesson from David Dahlson as he discusses California grown stock in today’s Mayesh Minute!
Here’s the latest information from our Mayesh purchasing team! They are such a wealth of knowledge and hope that you enjoy the latest Mayesh Flower 411!
Peony: coral and a little hot pink available the very beginning of April. All peonies beginning next week will be Dutch.
Japan: Ranunculus and sweet peas ended earlier than normal due to warm weather.
- Spirea – we will have a few next week and than gap for 2.
- Long cherry – is done after next week and med we will have for 2 more weeks.
- Forsythia – has 3 more weeks.
- Viburnum – is still green house grown but very nice.
- Camellia – has 2 more weeks and will not make it for Mothers Day.
Italy: we are trying some high-end Ranunculus from Italy to hopefully fill the void from Japan, the shipment of genestra arriving this weekend is the last.
- Cafe au Lait dahlias – VERY LIMITED !!!
- Smilax – limited, we are trying to pick up from KITA, but his production is not as big
- Eriostemon – limited supply
- PROTEA Pink Ice/other pinks/white protea – are finishing.
- Orange banksia – still ok
- Local Bells – looking good again
- Star of Bethlehem – all limited, white, orange, yellow
- Dubium – all limited, white, orange, yellow
- Lisianthus – is starting to come back on with good production locally with white, pink, purple, lavender; yellow and light pink limited; peach and bi-colors are very limited
Amaranthus Upright- very Limited
Chamomile- whites available, yellow limited
Delphinium Belladonna dark and light blue – good production on both
Delphinium Belladonna white – nobody in California grows this
Delphinium Hybrid – starting production
Delphinium Dark blue, purple, lavender – coming on
Delphinium Light blue – limited
Delphinium White – is very limited
Dianthus Green Trick or Green Ball – plentiful, large and lovely
Hypericum Foliage (midnight glow) – finished until the Fall
Iris – plentiful, all colors
Jasmine – not flowering, green vine
Kumquats – finished
Larkspur – plentiful, all colors
Leucadendron Safari – limited and turning green
Oriental Lily Yellow, Yellow Bi-Color and Peach – very very limited
Lily Starfighter – purchasing spoke to two major growers of Starfighter Liles in the US. The news is that Starfighter bulbs are very hard to find and they are switching over to newer varieties similar to Starfighter. The other new varieties they are growing as back-ups are Charming, Dynamite, Starship and Currie. A few smaller vendors will still carry small amounts of Starfighters.
Passion vine with fruit – on for about a month
Queen Anne’s Lace – starting to come back on, starting out it is at a tight cut point
Ranuncula local – still getting them, but hot weather is limiting the production.
Ranuncula Hybrid – same as local ranuncula
Snaps – plentiful, all colors
Statice – plentiful; white and pink limited; yellow and peach very limited
Sterling range – finished
Stock – plentiful, all colors